Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Trail Time!

So this past Sunday was my "long run" for the week.  And my last session at 4:1.  I took Friday and Saturday off and oddly my left leg was giving me some complaints in the butt area.  It was a miserable weekend weather-wise, so after hockey and soccer tryouts, I zipped up my raincoat and headed out to Eramosa Karst conservation area to try some trail running.

I am an avid hiker, but I'm so very careful hiking, because tripping and slipping can really hurt.  So I was nervous about RUNNING on trails.  It was awesome!  Either my strength and balance are really improving, or I was really lucky.  Haha.  There were also some hill sections (not big hills, but previously little tiny grade changes were noticeable while I ran) and I ran up no problem.  A little more hesitant about running down - don't want to open up my stride too much and slip.



I FEEL AMAZING.  I only stopped at 4 minute intervals because my timer told me to (not because I was gasping for breath or stumbling along exhausted), and I only stopped running because I had to get home and get the kids supper and bedtime.  I felt like I could go forever.  At conclusion I ran about 4 km (I forgot an interval where I paused the run and forgot to unpause it, dammit) at a 12 minute kilometer - consistent with my road runs, which means I should be able to speed up the road runs as I was being extra careful on the rough ground.

Turns out I couldn't go forever, unfortunately.  All my hip/leg pain went away through the run, and I felt great all day Monday, until the evening.  My left hip started hurting about 7:30pm and got steadily worse, to the point where I could barely walk and sleeping was horrible.  I took some advil about 3:30 am and got to sleep for a couple of hours, and after a hot shower and some stretching this morning it was better - but not great.

Now I don't know - do I run today and push it, or take another day off?  I don't want to wimp out.


No comments:

Post a Comment